Your PM Competence Map + Skills Assessment
Skill assessments will be a regular feature. My goal for the next 12 months is to help you become at least 30% better as a PM.
Hey, Paweł here. Welcome to the free edition of The Product Compass newsletter, republished on Medium! 🌎
My original post you can read for free without a Medium subscription: https://open.substack.com/pub/huryn/p/your-pm-competence-map-skills-assessment
In today’s newsletter:
- Product Management Competence Map
- Competencies by Product Role
- Product Management Skills Assessment
- Competence Map to Download
- Next Steps
So, grab a coffee, and let’s dive in!
1. Product Management Competence Map
I’ve broken down Product Management into eight categories:
Next, I’ll dive into what you need to know and share recommended resources.
1.1 Strategy and Business
Strategy is a set of choices that help you win in your chosen market. It defines the vision, market, value proposition, tradeoffs, and growth model, among others. It should be hard for competitors to copy.
You should understand:
- What strategy is, and what it’s not.
- Models like SWOT, PESTLE, and Porter’s Five Forces.
- Market size metrics like TAM, SAM, and SOM.
- How to make a business model to outline how your company will make money. This is often done with Business Model Canvas or Lean Model Canvas.